Tuesday, October 25, 2016

College Football Week 9 Picks/Predictions

Week 8 was another wild week of college football, and we head into what looks like could be another one in week 9.  Here are my college football week 9 picks/predictions:


Lines via Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook

_____________________________________________________________________________
#10 West Virginia (6-0) at Oklahoma State (5-2) (12:00 PM ET, on FOX, in Stillwater, Oklahoma)
                                                         UPSET
Line is set at: #10 West Virginia (-4)

My pick: Oklahoma State defeats #10 West Virginia 30-24

What to watch for: Oklahoma State's passing game.  The Cowboys have a great passing game that ranks 13th in the nation, but vs #10 West Virginia's stout defense they'll have to really show up and play well.  With that being said, I think they will enough to pull off the huge upset victory over the #10 ranked Mountaineers of West Virginia.

My thoughts on this game: This is a big game for the Big-12, and for both of these teams.  A West Virginia win keeps them alive for the playoff race, and an Oklahoma State win keeps them alive for a New Years' Six Bowl.  So both of these teams are playing for something, but I see Oklahoma State coming out with the victory.

Photo credit: Rob Ferguson - USA TODAY Sports
_____________________________________________________________________________




















_____________________________________________________________________________
#7 Nebraska (7-0) at #11 Wisconsin (5-2) (7:00 PM ET, on ESPN, in Madison, Wisconsin) 

       Line is set at: #11 Wisconsin (-9)                                                                    

My pick: #11 Wisconsin defeats #7 Nebraska 24-17                                                             

     What to watch for: Wisconsin's defense.  The Badgers have one of the best defenses in all of college football, they have held every opponent under 20 points with the exception of Ohio State (who scored 23 points in an overtime game).  And I think that even though #7 Nebraska has a good offense, I see the Badgers' defense prevailing again.

My thoughts on this game: This is another important game that will be played this week, and I think that it will be close, and down-to-the-wire, but I see the Badgers pulling a close game out at home in Madison vs #7 Nebraska.

Photo credit: Mary Langenfeld - USA TODAY Sports
_____________________________________________________________________________























_____________________________________________________________________________
#3 Clemson (7-0) at #12 Florida State (5-2) (8:00 PM ET, on ABC, in Tallahassee, Florida)  
UPSET 
Line is set at: #3 Clemson (-4.5)                                                                                        

My pick: #12 Florida State defeats #3 Clemson 26-23                                                           

What to watch for: Florida State's special teams.  Both of these teams have pretty good offenses, and both have pretty good defenses, and there are reasons to pick both teams.  However, I think one possibly overlooked aspect of the game is special teams, and I think that the Noles have a better special teams which could play a big part in this game, and I think it will in a game I see FSU winning.

My thoughts on this game: This is the highest ranked matchup of the week, and I think it will live up to its hype.  Both of these teams have had a bye week to prepare for this game, and I see both coming out ready, but I see Florida State pulling out the victory in a close one in front of their home crowd.

Photo credit: Wilfredo Lee - AP
_____________________________________________________________________________

























My Sneaky Good Game Of The Week
_____________________________________________________________________________
#15 Auburn (5-2) at Ole Miss (3-4) (7:15 PM ET, on the SECN, in Oxford, Mississippi)     

Line is set at: #15 Auburn (-4)                                                                                        

My pick: #15 Auburn defeats Ole Miss 27-23                                                                   

What to watch for: Auburn's defense.  Auburn has a very good defense, probably the best defense they've had this decade.  However, they will face a good Ole Miss offense that could be trouble for them if they don't come out ready to play.  I see this game being another close game that will be played this week, and I have Auburn coming away with the narrow victory to improve to 6-2 on the season.

My thoughts on this game: This game is mainly interesting because of the fact that Auburn is fighting for their SEC West hopes after starting off the season 1-2, and because Ole Miss is playing spoiler, and is trying to make sure they make a bowl game this season.  So both teams are fighting for something, and I think that both teams will play a hard fought game, but I see Auburn pulling out the win.

Photo Credit: John Reed - USA TODAY Sports
_____________________________________________________________________________






















UPSET OF THE WEEK
_____________________________________________________________________________
      #4 Washington (7-0) at #17 Utah (7-1) (3:30 PM ET, on FOX Sports 1, in Salt Lake City, Utah)
                                                                     UPSET
      Line is set at #4 Washington (-10)

      My pick: #17 Utah defeats #4 Washington 30-27

      What to watch for: Utah's running game.  The Utes have a great running game, mainly because of a great running back that they have.  Senior running back Joe Williams rushed for 332 yards, and 4 touchdowns last week on the road at UCLA.  Yes, he will be facing a way tougher defense this week, but I think that he and his offense will be able to put enough points on the board to knock off #4 Washington at home.

My thoughts on this game: The last two times I picked against Washington I was way off, and I don't want to keep on picking against them, but I think that they will drop their first game of the season on the road at #17 Utah this upcoming Saturday, mainly because of the fact they will be in a hostile environment on the road, vs a very tough opponent with their championship hopes on the line.  I see those things being too tough to overcome in this particular game vs #17 Utah.

  Photo credit: Mark J. Terrill - AP
_____________________________________________________________________________

Enjoy week 9 of the college football season!

Here are some other games to watch out for:
#2 Michigan at Michigan State
#14 Florida vs Georgia*
#8 Baylor at Texas
Northwestern at #6 Ohio State


You can follow me on twitter at: @Footballfile

No comments:

Post a Comment