Friday, October 9, 2015

College Football Week 6 Picks/Predictions

After a week with a lot of exciting games.  This week has the potential to also be very exciting as college football heads into the mid-way point of this season.  Here are my week 6 picks/predictions:

_______________________________________________________________________________
#19 Georgia at Tennessee (3:30 PM ET, on CBS, in Knoxville, Tennessee)

My pick: #19 Georgia defeats Tennessee 31-20

What to watch for: Georgia's running game.  Georgia struggled a lot last week vs Alabama, and you can point to a lot of reasons why they got beat like they did, and yes, they will need Greyson Lambert (who Mark Richt said will start in this game) to play well, but Georgia's offense is centered around RBs Nick Chubb, Sony Michel, and even Keith Marshall.  If you look at the rushing stats of Georgia's last game, it doesn't look that bad at all.  But with the exception of a few runs, they couldn't move the ball very well at all last week, and when they got their only rushing touchdown of the game, it was too little too late.  So the Bulldogs will need to run the ball effectively to get a bounce-back win on the road, which I think they'll get.

My thoughts/reasons: Tennessee and Georgia are both coming off of losses, so a win here will help tremendously.  I think that Georgia will come into this game more motivated than the Vols, simply because they are still in the SEC East race, and maybe CFP race, and Georgia isn't coming off of three losses of 7 points or less in three of the last four weeks.  So I think Georgia has more to play for right now.  With that being said, I think that although Tennessee is at home, and very talented, it'll be hard for them to bounce back after such deflating losses that most likely took them out of the SEC East race.  I have Georgia bouncing back with a win on the road that can get them back on track.

Photo credit: Joshua L. Jones - Flagpole.com
_______________________________________________________________________________















_______________________________________________________________________________
#13 Northwestern at #18 Michigan (3:30 PM ET, on BTN/BTN2, in Ann Arbor, Michigan) UPSET

My pick: #18 Michigan defeats #13 Northwestern 24-20

What to watch for: Defense.  Usually I put down a particular team's area of play to watch out for, but in this game it'll be both teams defenses.  Both of these teams have had a lot of success so far this season, and one of the main reasons for that success is these teams defenses.  This game could very well come down to who's defense preforms better in a game with big BIG-10 implications, and as talented as Northwestern's defense is, I think at home, Michigan and their defense will get it done.

My thoughts/reasons: I think that both teams are very deserving of credit for the way they've played this season.  But, one of these teams is obviously gonna fall this weekend, and I think that it'll be Northwestern.  I think that being at home helps Michigan a lot, because although Northwestern has beaten Duke on the road, freshman QB Clayton Thorson has not been in a road environment vs a defense as stout as Michigan's yet this season.  So in the end, I think Michigan will be able to get a huge BIG-10 victory at home vs an up and coming Northwestern team.

Photo credit: Mitch Stringer - USA Today Sports
______________________________________________________________________________




















______________________________________________________________________________
     Navy at #15 Notre Dame (3:30 PM ET, on NBC, in South Bend, Indiana) UPSET                                                 

My pick: Navy defeats Notre Dame 31-28                                                                             

What to watch for: Navy's rushing attack.  I know it's kinda the obvious thing to watch out for, but like every season in this game, the rushing attack of Navy will be important in this game.  In the past, this is usually a game that gives Notre Dame trouble, and I think it will again this season.  Notre Dame could bounce back with motivation, but this is one of those trap games after a very emotional game the week before, that can get higher ranked teams in trouble.  So, I think that Navy will be able to get the best of the Fighting Irish in this one, mainly because of their high potent rushing attack.

My thoughts/reasons: Notre Dame has already played a triple-option offense this season in Georgia Tech, but since Notre Dame is coming off of such a tough game on the road vs Clemson, and Navy is coming into this game after a bye week.  I think that Navy will come in better prepared in a game that I think the Midshipmen will hold onto late to get a big road victory over a top-15 opponent.

Photo credit: Stew Milne - AP
______________________________________________________________________________






















______________________________________________________________________________
#11 Florida at Missouri (7:30 PM ET, on the SEC Network, in Columbia, Missouri)              

My pick: #11 Florida defeats Missouri 28-10                                                                      

What to watch for: Missouri's QB play.  Missouri has suspended QB Maty Mauk indefinitely, which means backup QB Drew Lock (who stepped in, and played a pretty solid game vs South Carolina last week) will start, and he'll need to play even better vs a tough Florida defense, who is one of the nation's best.  I think that Florida's defense would be too hard to overcome even with starting QB Maty Mauk playing.  So, if it'd be too hard for Mauk to play successfully enough to beat the Gators, I think it will be with Drew Lock.  I think that Drew Lock is a talented and rising QB in the SEC, but in this one, I got the Gators' defense playing up to their high potential once again.

My thoughts/reasons: Florida comes into this game with all the momentum, they are 5-0 and they are coming off of a thrashing of then #3 Ole Miss 38-10.  As for Mizzou, they are 4-1 coming off of a 24-10 victory over South Carolina.  But, I think that Florida will take that momentum into this one, and play a very solid game on all sides of the football to improve to 6-0 on the season.

Photo credit: Phelan M. Ebenhack - AP
______________________________________________________________________________




















______________________________________________________________________________
    #2 TCU at Kansas State (7:30 PM ET, on FOX Sports, in Manhattan, Kansas) UPSET

    My pick: Kansas State defeats #2 TCU 34-31

    What to watch for: Kansas State's style of play.  When TCU faced Texas Tech a couple of weeks ago, both those teams styles were very much alike, up-tempo scoring offenses, and some people may think that dueling TCU's up-tempo play with up-tempo play is the best way to play them, but I don't think it is.   What Texas Tech likes to do, is up-tempo offense.  But TCU is currently better at it.  So basically, Texas Tech tried to beat TCU at something TCU is better at.  But Kansas State isn't likely to try that, they'll likely try to rough TCU up, and that is a bad matchup for TCU, in my opinion.  So, if Kansas State plays the style of football they're best at, then I think they will win, and that's what I think they'll do.

My thoughts/reasons: I already picked against TCU once this season, and this is the second time.  It's not that I think TCU is mediocre team or anything, but I see some trap games on their schedule, that I could see them getting upset in, and these are one of those games.  I think that Kansas State is a tough matchup for the Horned Frogs.  I see this one being close the whole way through, but Kansas State coming out on top late, to get a huge BIG-12 victory.

Photo credit: Orlin Wagner - AP
______________________________________________________________________________





















______________________________________________________________________________
    Miami (FL) at #12 Florida State (8:00 PM ET, on ABC, in Tallahassee, Florida) UPSET WATCH

   My pick: #12 Florida State defeats Miami (FL) 31-24

   What to watch for: Florida State's running game.  If Florida State doesn't run the ball well in this game, they could be in trouble.  Their star RB Dalvin Cook is questionable for this game vs Miami (FL), and although they maybe without him, I think that RB Nate Andrews can carry the load in this one vs the Canes.  QB Everett Golson can also run the ball, so I think that the Seminoles will be able to run the ball just successfully enough to get the win at home.

My thoughts/reasons: Florida State comes into this one with some momentum, they did struggle with Wake Forest in their last one, but I think they'll be able to up their play in this one vs a higher-quality opponent in Miami (FL) to get a win.  I do think that Miami (FL) is getting better as a football program, but I see the Noles being too much for them on the road.

Photo credit: Nell Redmond - AP
______________________________________________________________________________





















______________________________________________________________________________
#23 California at #5 Utah (10:00 PM ET, on ESPN, in Salt Lake City, Utah) UPSET           

My pick: #23 California defeats #5 Utah 41-38                                                                   

What to watch for: California's offense.  I think in this game it'll be really who's offense is more productive, I do think that California's defense has improved from last season, but in this one, I think it'll be a shootout.  California has QB Jared Goff at the helm, while Utah has QB Travis Wilson.  In this type of a game, I'm more confident in Jared Goff and Cal's offense.  Utah does have star RB Devontae Booker, but I think Cal's offense will be able to come up big late in this one to get a big road upset win.

My thoughts/reasons: I believe that Utah is a very talented team, but like UCLA, I think they'll have a letdown game.  I think that Cal will come in with more to prove in this one, and I think they'll prove their worth.  I see Cal jumping out to an early lead that will make Utah play from behind, and since Utah hasn't played from behind much this season, I think it will put Utah in a uncomfortable position that Cal will take advantage of in the end.

Photo credit: Jason O. Watson - Getty Images
______________________________________________________________________________



















Sneaky Good Game Of The Week
______________________________________________________________________________
#23 Oklahoma State at West Virginia (7:00 PM ET, on ESPN2, in Morgantown, West Virginia)  UPSET
My pick: West Virginia defeats #23 Oklahoma State 38-35                                                      

What to watch for: West Virginia's QB play.  West Virginia QB Skyler Howard had his first true test last week vs now #10 Oklahoma.  In that game, he struggled a lot, but look for him to bounce back pretty strong in this one.  Oklahoma State's defense isn't bad, but I think that Skyler Howard and his teammates will have a overall solid game to get the big victory at home.

My thoughts/reasons: This game is pretty under-the-radar.  Not many people are talking about this game, but since both of these teams are still in the BIG-12 hunt, they probably should.  I see this game (like others) being close, I think that both teams will play a good enough game to win, but I think that since WVU is at home, and this is kinda a do-or-die game in the BIG-12, I think WVU will bounce back strongly in this one to get a important BIG-12 victory over a top-25 opponent in Oklahoma State.

Photo credit: Raymond Thompson - AP
______________________________________________________________________________


These are just some of many games that have the potential to be very exciting this week.  Enjoy week 6 of the college football season!

You can follow me on twitter: @Footballfile

No comments:

Post a Comment