Friday, October 23, 2015

College Football Week 8 Picks/Predictions

There aren't as many big games in week 8 as there were last week, but knowing how college football goes, there can still be come exciting games.  Here are my week 8 picks/predictions.


___________________________________________________________________________
#6 Clemson (6-0) at Miami (FL) (4-2) (12:00 PM ET, on ABC, in Miami Gardens, Florida) UPSET

My pick: Miami (FL) defeats #6 Clemson 34-28

What to watch for: Miami (FL)'s passing game.  Miami comes into this game desperate to stay alive in the ACC Coastal race, they are currently 1-1 in conference play, and a loss could be the dagger in any ACC championship game hopes.  If the Canes want to pull out this victory over Clemson, they'll likely need to be able to pass the ball effectively, not that running the ball won't be important.  But it'll be big if Miami passes the ball effectively, and I think that although Clemson has played very well defensively this season, they haven't really faced a QB like Brad Kaaya.  So I think that in the end, Miami will pull out this victory over #6 Clemson behind sophomore QB Brad Kaaya.

My thoughts/reasons: Clemson is one of the best teams in the nation, and maybe the best team in the ACC.  But I think that this game will be one of those games where the higher ranked team plays a sloppy game, while their opponent plays a solid one.  I see this game being close throughout, but I think that Brad Kaaya and Miami will get it done late at home.

Photo credit: Joe Skipper - AP
___________________________________________________________________________








___________________________________________________________________________
Tennessee (3-3) at #8 Alabama (6-1) (3:30 PM ET, on CBS, in Tuscaloosa, Alabama)

My pick: #8 Alabama defeats Tennessee 42-13

What to watch for: Alabama's secondary.  Bama's secondary has exceeded expectations so far this season, they have forced 12 interceptions so far this season, including four pick sixes in the last three games.  In this game they'll face a pretty good passing team in Tennessee, so Bama will be tested.  But, I think that with the way their secondary has played lately, I don't see them stopping any time soon.

My thoughts/reasons: Tennessee is coming into this game off of a bye week, but so was Texas A&M.  I think that although the Vols have that added rest, they'll struggle to play to their full potential in this one.  In the end, I see Bama jumping out to an early lead, and I don't see Tennessee responding.  So I think that Bama will roll to another big win, this time at home.

Photo credit: Vasha Hunt - AL.com
___________________________________________________________________________



















___________________________________________________________________________
#15 Texas A&M (5-1) at #24 Ole Miss (5-2) (7:00 PM ET, on ESPN, in Oxford, Mississippi)

My pick: #15 Texas A&M defeats #24 Ole Miss 38-24                                                     

What to watch for: Texas A&M's passing game.  One of Ole Miss' strong points on defense is their secondary, but Memphis found a way to pass the ball effectively vs that secondary of Ole Miss.  Ole Miss' secondary's task won't be any easier in this game, because they're facing one of the best passing attacks in the nation.  Texas A&M did struggle to pass the ball vs Bama, but I see them bouncing back and passing the ball effectively enough to help keep their SEC championship hopes alive.

My thoughts/reasons: Ole Miss beat Alabama, but got complacent and ended up losing four games in all last season.  Unfortunately for Ole Miss fans, this season could be even worse.  They are coming off of a 37-24 loss on the road to Memphis, and I don't see it getting any better vs Texas A&M.  I think that although Ole Miss is at home, I think that Texas A&M will be too much for Ole Miss to overcome in the end.

Photo credit: Matthew Emmons - USA Today Sports
___________________________________________________________________________






















___________________________________________________________________________
#3 Utah (6-0) at USC (3-3) (7:30 PM ET, on FOX, in Los Angeles, California) UPSET

My pick: USC defeats #3 Utah 34-27                                                                          

What to watch for: USC's rushing defense.  USC comes into this game after two straight losses, and they are looking for their first victory of October, and if they want to get it this week, they'll have to stop one of the best rushing attacks in the PAC-12, and in the nation.  That rushing attack is led by potential Heisman candidate Devontae Booker who has had a sensational season so far.  So the Trojans obviously have a tough task at hand, but I think if they can limit Booker and force Utah QB Travis Wilson to pass the ball more than the Utes would like, I think it'll put Utah in a tough position, and I think USC will be able to do just that to pull off the upset over #3 Utah.

My thoughts/reasons: Utah has been one of the most impressive teams in the nation this season, and they have been the most impressive in the PAC-12, in my opinion.  While USC has been one of the most disappointing teams in the PAC-12, and in the nation.  But, I think that USC will play well enough to get the upset win at home in a pretty tight game.

Photo credit: Kirby Lee - USA Today Sports
___________________________________________________________________________













___________________________________________________________________________
Washington (3-3) at #10 Stanford (5-1) (10:30 PM ET, on ESPN, in Stanford, California)

My pick: Stanford defeats Washington 49-24                                                                

What to watch for: Stanford's running game.  Stanford has one of the best running games in the nation, largely because of star RB Christian McCaffery who could be a Heisman finalist this season.  The Cardinal face a Washington defense who has played pretty well so far this season.  But, I think that McCaffery will be able to keep up his great play, and I think that Stanford as a team will be able to continue to play well on their way to another victory. 

My thoughts/reasons: Stanford has played great since their loss to Northwestern in the season opener, while Washington has been mostly inconsistent.  I think that Washington will be able to hang around early in the game, but I see Stanford pulling away later in large part because of their depth, talent, and momentum, plus being at home doesn't hurt.  I see Stanford getting yet another victory to extend their winning streak to six.  

Photo credit: Thearon W. Henderson - Getty Images
___________________________________________________________________________












My Sneaky Good Game Of The Week
___________________________________________________________________________
Texas Tech (5-2) at #17 Oklahoma (5-1) (3:30 PM ET, on ABC/ESPN2, in Norman, Oklahoma)

My pick: #17 Oklahoma defeats Texas Tech 41-37                                                           

What to watch for: Oklahoma's QB play.  Baker Mayfield has played great so far this season, and they'll need him to continue to vs Texas Tech who can score with the best of them.  I think QB play will be important in this game for the Sooners, because this game is likely to be a shootout, so having good QB play is pretty important in those type of games.  I see Mayfield playing a good game for the Sooners on their way to a pretty big BIG-12 over Texas Tech.

My thoughts/reasons: This game would've been bigger if Texas Tech defeated TCU, and if Oklahoma didn't lay an egg vs Texas.  But, it's still a matchup of two pretty quality teams.  For the game itself, I think it'll be a pretty down-to-the-wire type game, and I see Oklahoma pulling it out in the end to 
improve to 6-1 on the season. 

Photo credit: Mark D. Smith - USA Today Sports
___________________________________________________________________________







Although this week may not be full with great matchups on paper, there could still be some excitement.  Here are my week 8 picks/predictions.  Enjoy!

You can follow me on twitter: @Footballfile

No comments:

Post a Comment